The staffs at Department of ENT in Dar al Baraa Medical Center focus on the treatment of ear, nose and throat conditions in adults and children. This includes:
Ear disorders like ear pain and infection with watery or pus like discharge, Blocked sensation in ear, reduced hearing and deafness, ringing in the ears and vertigo (dizziness). Clearing of ear wax by suction and/or syringing.
Nose and paranasal sinus diseases like stuffy/blocked nose, nasal allergy with excessive sneezing, runny nose both seasonal/perennial and sinusitis with facial pain or heaviness and sinus headaches.
Throat problems like tonsillar infection, adenoid enlargement leading to snoring and mouth breathing, chronic cough, voice change, difficulty in swallowing etc
Neck swellings like lymph node enlargement and thyroid swellings are evaluated and managed.
The department also carries out special tests like :
1. Flexible nasopharyngolaryngoscopy uses an endoscope whose shape can be changed so it could go around corners. This is done for patients with problems such as snoring, laryngeal problems causing hoarseness and some throat problems like cancer of the throat. The pictures can be seen on a monitor, as there is a tiny video camera on the end of the endoscope.
2. Rigid nasal endoscopy uses an endoscope that does not bend but is straight to look just in the nose. This is done for patients with nose, sinus and nasopharyngeal problems. The pictures can be seen on a monitor, as there is a tiny video camera on the end of the endoscope.
3. Otomicroscopy helps us to visualize the hidden areas of the middle ear in cases of perforation. It helps in identifying polyps, granulations and status of the middle ear depending upon the size of the perforation.
3. Pure tone audiometry – the levels of sound (different noises) that people can hear can be tested. This can be used to assess the type of hearing loss and to quantify it.
4. Impedance audiometry – this test to analyze how the parts of the ear, especially the eardrum and the middle ear bones are working. Also used in children where there is hearing loss to check if there is accumulation of fluid in the middle ear.
5. Cautery for Nosebleeds: Nose cautery can help control nosebleeds. The doctor uses a chemical swab to cauterize the inside of the nose. This seals the blood vessels and builds scar tissue to help prevent more bleeding.
Under the supervision of doctor
Dr. Nikhil Satyamurthy Bhardwaj
M.B;B.S., M.S(ENT), Diplomate of National Board in ENT(India).